GAME ON – OLG needs you
We said GAME ON, and we mean it – OLG is rapidly transforming its organization to better serve Ontarians by delivering exceptional gaming experiences through our digital, retail lottery and land-based casino channels. In our 2019-2020 fiscal year alone, OLG achieved net income of over $2.3 billion in the province of Ontario. OLG is now expanding its horizons even further, with a new strategic direction, to become a world-class gaming entertainment leader with a globally admired digital platform.
We are ready to take this game to the next level and need a passionate Chief Legal Officer. This role will have responsibilities that have a significant impact on all aspects of OLG’s business and operations and will play an important role in protecting the organization from current and emerging legal and reputational risks.
YOUR ROLE IN THE GAME
Reporting to the Senior General Counsel, Legal Services, Corporate Affairs and Litigation, the Director of Legal Services will expertly manage and oversee litigation and provide expert and strategic legal advice across the company on a variety of matters, including human resources and privacy issues, to advance OLG’s strategic objectives. You will also be empowered to:
- Provide timely, practical and strategic legal advice, support and guidance related to a variety of legal issues, including privacy and human resources issues.
- Expertly assist in effectively overseeing and managing, directly or through outside counsel, litigation.
- Apply experience and expertise to identify and recommend practical and effective strategies, controls and measures that mitigate legal and business risks
- Work closely with senior management and business units to advise on actual or potential areas of litigation or other legal risks and provide advice and recommendations to avoid or minimize risks and prevent their occurrence
- Monitor the ongoing effectiveness of the litigation management program, recommend operational opportunities and provide implementation guidance as the business and environment evolves and changes, identifying exposures, gaps and/or trends and making the necessary adjustments
- Actively liaise with the provincial government, court agencies, external litigation counsel and other government stakeholders as required for the exchange of information
- Represent OLG in negotiations and meetings with counterparts and stakeholders to strategically advance and promote OLG’s objectives.
- Provide leadership and guidance in the development and implementation of policies, procedures and standards to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations to protect the integrity of OLG as well as review and update periodic updates thereof.
- Provide mentorship and leadership to Senior Legal Counsel, Legal Counsel, Articling Students, Summer Students and Executive Assistants to ensure the success of the legal team.
- Manage and monitor legal expenditures to ensure consistent alignment with the department’s tax mandate
- Organize periodic training sessions on the latest developments in these areas for GLC and internal customers
WHAT YOU NEED TO PLAY
Professional experience: Minimum of 8 years of progressively responsible experience in a law firm or in an in-house counsel role in a public or private organization
Education: Law degree (LLB/JD) and member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario
Critical Skills: Advanced advocacy and conflict resolution expertise providing effective reporting and advice to an organization’s senior management; strong research and legal writing skills; exceptional oral and written business/technical communication skills to build consensus, negotiate and persuade while maintaining positive business partnerships and integrity; excellence in performing independent work and managing complex files by applying strong problem solving and strategic thinking for optimal results; experience with FIPPA and other privacy laws and advice on employment matters
Cooperation and fun: Inclusive and collaborative work style while creating fun and excitement in our work
Integrity and Trust: Do what is right and operate with transparency and openness
BENEFITS OF JOINING OUR TEAM
Part of a larger image: socially responsible company that returns all profits to the province and the people of Ontario
Flexible work environment: to help balance work and life
You count: family-friendly work practices and remote work
Freedom to innovate: supports new and better ways to succeed
Be your Authentic Self: environment that values diversity as a source of strength
Learning galore: 24/7 access to robust online learning programs
Public Service Pension Plan: participate in a large defined benefit pension plan sponsored by the Ontario government
Variable compensation program: performance-based incentives to share our success (for OLG permanent employees only)
Learn about OLG – GAME ON!
OLG’s goal is to contribute to a better Ontario by providing great entertainment experiences for our customers. We are a multi-billion dollar organization with a wide range of business lines including lottery, land-based casinos, digital lottery and casino, horse racing and charitable gaming. OLG is in the midst of a massive transformation to become customer obsessed and take our digital business to a whole new level.
The key to our success is our people. Our culture will be built on real, positive partnerships that embrace trust, clarity and openness in everything we do. We support and empower employees and teams across the organization through greater accountability, leadership development and growth opportunities. OLG is embracing more flexible work options and family-friendly work practices, including remote work.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion are essential elements of our culture, the cornerstone of our values of respect, integrity, stewardship and excellence. At OLG, our employees have the space to be themselves and use their insights and skills for the benefit of the people and the province of Ontario.
As we reshape and grow our business, we are unwavering when it comes to living our purpose and ensuring our business delivers meaningful results. benefits for Ontarians. OLG’s net profits are reinvested in the province, contributing to the quality of life of Ontarians.
To learn more about OLG, visit our website at www.olg.ca.
We look forward to hearing from you, interested candidates should apply online by June 8, 2022.
OLG is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Please contact Human Resources at [email protected] if you require accommodation at any time during the hiring process.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.