Temporary housing for migrants at Cape Cod base will end this week, state says

0

Temporary housing at Joint Base Cape Cod will end later this week for a group of Venezuelan migrants who unexpectedly landed on Martha’s Vineyard last month after Florida Governor Ron DeSantis arranged private flights to send them from Texas to Massachusetts.

Thirty-five migrants are still being housed at the Buzzards Bay base, where they are working with case managers to find long-term housing plans, the Baker administration said in a statement Tuesday. Fourteen other people left the base for “opportunities inside and outside of Massachusetts,” the statement said.

“The remaining residents are expected to move out of JBCC this week as other transitional housing opportunities are finalized,” the statement said. “JBCC’s temporary shelter operation is expected to wrap up by this weekend.”

According to an ongoing trial and media reports.

  • Read more: Lawyers seek to verify identity of army agent who helped lure migrants on flights to Martha’s Vineyard

When they landed on the small island off the coast of Massachusetts, the locals quickly provided lodging in a church, medical supplies, food, and later legal assistance. They stayed at Martha’s Vineyard for a few days before state officials moved them to housing at Joint Base Cape Cod.

Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency officials said they are coordinating with nonprofits to “ensure the unmet needs of shelter residents are addressed.” This includes the provision of temporary shelter and food, clothing, hygiene products, access to health care, access to legal services and transport services.

“I especially want to thank the professionals at Father Bill’s and MainSpring for the immense expertise and compassion they brought to this response,” MEMA Acting Director Dawn Brantley said in a statement. “Their team worked hard, around the clock from day one, to ensure day-to-day operations and service delivery ran smoothly. We are lucky and very grateful to have them on this team.

  • Read more: Airlines must keep records in DeSantis, lawsuit against migrants

A federal lawsuit against the DeSantis administration, Florida Secretary of Transportation Jared Perdue, and the state Department of Transportation alleges that sending the migrants from Texas to Massachusetts violated both constitutional rights and the federal law.

At the center of the lawsuit brought by Boston-based Lawyers for Civil Rights and Alianza Americas are allegations that a group of five unnamed people instigated migrants outside a resource center in San Antonio to climb to on planes bound for Martha’s Vineyard with promises of jobs and assistance.

“In fact, the defendants had made no arrangements regarding employment, housing, educational opportunities, or other assistance for the individual plaintiffs or other class members at their destination,” the lawsuit states. “Defendants had not even notified any governmental or non-profit entity that might provide such services that individual plaintiffs and their similarly situated class members would arrive.”

  • Read more: Bluster on migrants sent to Mass. hindering immigration reform, says Baker

The lawsuit identifies two of the unnamed defendants as “Emanuel” and “Perla”. Media reports As of the weekend, Perla Huerta, a former US Army nurse and counterintelligence agency working for the state of Florida, was identified as one of those accused of luring migrants on airplanes.

The Bexar County Sheriff’s Office in San Antonio is also reportedly investigating Huerta.

Civil rights attorneys said they are also working to confirm “Perla’s” identity before formally naming the person as a defendant in their class action lawsuit.

LCR executive director Iván Espinoza-Madrigal said “Perla” played “an essential on-the-ground recruiting role in Florida Governor Ron DeSantis’ program, enticing San Antonio migrants to fly with fake promises of jobs, education and housing.”

“Once we verify this information, we plan to amend our complaint to substitute Perla’s real name for Doe Defendant #1. She will then formally receive the complaint and must respond in federal district court,” he said in a statement.

  • Read more: Martha’s Vineyard migrants can remain anonymous during trial, judge rules

The DeSantis administration said the decision to send migrants from Texas to a small island in Massachusetts was made to highlight the challenges frontier communities face every day with immigration.

A spokesperson for DeSantis previously said the lawsuit involved “activists” using “illegal immigrants for political theater.”

“If these activists spent even a fraction of that time and effort at the border, perhaps some blame would be placed on the Biden administration’s reckless border policies that incentivize illegal immigrants to make dangerous and often deadly journeys across Central America and putting their lives in danger. hands of cartels and coyotes,” the spokesperson said.

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.